Computer and Number Systems
1. (10 pt) You have been hired to develop a website-based sales system for a large international retail firm. List and describe at least four features that are specific to the Web design of your system and customer service important to consider if your system is to be successful at attracting and keeping customers living outside of the US. Include not only characteristics of the user interface, but those issues that must be uniquely addressed to successfully service your non-US customers.
2. (10 pt) ASCII, Unicode, and EBCDIC are, of course, not the only numeric / character codes. The Sophomites from the planet Collegium use the rather strange code shown in the Figure below. There are only thirteen characters in the Sophomite alphabet, and each character uses a 5-bit code. In addition, there are four numeric digits, since the Sophomites use base 4 for their arithmetic. Given the following Sophomite sequence, what is the corresponding binary message being sent by the Sophomites?
4. (10 pt) Define memory cache write-through and write-back techniques and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each.
5. Answer the follow questions about interrupts.
a. (5 pt) Describe in detail the steps that occur when a system receives an interrupt.
b. (5 pt) Describe how these steps differ in the case when a system receives multiple interrupts
6. Answer the following questions about clusters.
a.(5 pt) Describe how you might use a cluster to provide fault-tolerant computing
b.(5 pt) Describe how you might use a cluster architecture to provide rapid scalability for a Web-based company experiencing rapid growth.
7. Answer the following questions about communication protocols.
a.(5 pt) Using the operations of UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) as a basis, carefully explain the difference between connectionless and connection-oriented communication.
b.(5 pt) If you were ordering a number of items from an online seller, such as amazon.com, which Protocol (TCP or UDP) would you recommend and explain why.
8. In the context of network security,
a.(3 pt) explain the purpose of non-repudiation.
b.(3 pt) How does non-repudiation differ from authentication?
c.(4 pt) Create a business scenario that illustrates the importance of each.
11. Answer the following:
a.(5 pt) Use the following four processes that have arrived in the ready queue in the sequence shown below and answer the following about process scheduling:
(i)Both shortest job first and non-preemptive priority queue scheduling algorithms will complete all four processes at the same time, but not in the same order. In which algorithm will Process 1 finish first? Provide the time Process 1 finishes and explain your answer.
(ii)If the round robinscheduling algorithm is used, which process will finish first? At what time will it complete?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more